A quick disaster recovery policy boilerplate.
Customize it for your business, or leave it as-is.
Please be sure to write up detailed disaster recovery procedures and make sure you have a proper business continuity plan in place as well.
The policy itself:
Section 1. This DR Policy
The major goals of this policy are as follows:
- To minimize interruptions to the normal operations.
- To limit the extent of disruption and damage.
- To minimize the economic impact of the interruption.
- To establish alternative means of operation in advance.
- To train personnel with emergency procedures.
- To provide for smooth and rapid restoration of service.
Section 2. Discovery
- Policy Initiation
- Notify senior management
- Contact and set up disaster recovery team
- Set a disaster recovery team primary point of contact and incident center of command
- Determine degree of disaster
- Determine response first steps
- Determine estimated time to recovery complete
- Update senior management on initial findings
- Select appropriate disaster recovery procedure based on degree of disaster
Section 3. Response
- Policy Response
- Notify users of the disruption of service
- Implement proper application recovery procedure dependent on extent of disaster
- Monitor progress on recovery policy implementation through DR recovery team primary point of contact
- Contact backup site and establish a point of contact at that location
- Contact all other necessary personnel–both user and data processing–required for success of the recovery policy
- Contact vendors–both hardware and software–related to the disasters affected equipment
Section 4. Recovery
- Recover from disaster
- Determine applications to be run and in what sequence
- Ensure that all personnel involved know their tasks
- Make sure that the DR team at the disaster site has the necessary information to begin restoring
- Recover affected equipment from disk or tape media
- Verify recovered equipment is functioning properly
- Begin normal operations and notify staff of completion of recovery
- Review disaster process and document good/bad sections of the procedure